Allentown
70° F
Overcast
Overcast

4 people killed in house fire in Lancaster

By 69 News, (follow: @69news), news@wfmz.com
Ryan Hughes, Reporter, RHughes@wfmz.com
Published On: Jul 04 2013 09:28:21 AM CDT
Updated On: Jul 05 2013 05:11:56 AM CDT

A Lancaster neighborhood is coping with an Independence Day tragedy.

LANCASTER, Pa. -

It was an Independence Day filled with heartbreak for a Lancaster neighborhood after four people were killed in an early morning fire.

Flames and smoke ripped through a house in the 100 block of East Clay Street, where 15 people were staying, around 3 a.m. Thursday.

The fire was sparked by overcooked food, said officials.

Two young boys died after they were rushed to the hospital. Two men never made it out of the house, said Chief Timothy Gregg, Lancaster Fire Dept.

Charlie Brock, a man who jumped from the third floor roof of the home to alert a neighbor to the fire, told 69 News that the 64-year-old man was his father, Jimmie Moore.

He identified the other victims as David Kuhns, in his 40s; Skyler Kuhns, 8; and Shawn Kuhns, 6.

"I ended up waking up and smelling smoke. I thought I was having an asthma attack, and I ended up jumping out of the bed," said Brock, who yelled for everyone to get out of the home. "At first I didn't think I was going to make it out."

At least six other people were taken to the hospital, including Moore's daughter, Martha Moore, who was 7-and-a-half months pregnant.

Brock said Martha jumped onto the front roof to escape the fire and was rushed to the hospital, where she underwent an emergency C-section, giving birth to a baby girl.

"My father [Jimmie Moore] went in and he gave his wings onto his grandchild and made sure that she's able to breathe," said Jimmie Jr.

Three patients were transferred from Lancaster General Hospital to a burn center in critical condition, a spokesperson said. Another person was in serious condition. Several others were treated and released.

Moore, neighbors said, was a Vietnam veteran who took in a homeless family and frequently gave toys to the kids.

Investigators have not yet determined what sparked the fire. They said there were no working smoke detectors inside the home.