Allentown
77° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds

20 people sent to hospital following carbon monoxide leak at Bethlehem ice rink

By Jamie Stover, Reporter, JStover@wfmz.com
Published On: Jan 12 2014 05:04:52 AM CST
Updated On: Jan 12 2014 01:08:12 PM CST
BETHLEHEM, Pa. -

A faulty Zamboni machine sent 20 people to the hospital and forced the evacuation of about 300 people Saturday night after it leaked dangerous carbon monoxide levels into the Steel Ice Center in Bethlehem.

The Bethlehem Fire Department said those transported to local hospitals displayed symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including nausea and headaches.

Officials could not provide details on their conditions Saturday night.

Officials said local youth hockey games were being played when the incident occurred.

Crews arrived at the ice rink just before 6:30 p.m. Saturday night and did not leave the scene until close to 10 p.m. The center reopened Sunday.